By Sarah Jampel
photo credits : bonappetit.com
Strawberry Snacking Cake
Make 1 13 X 9" cake
8 oz. strawberries, hulled, thinly sliced lengthwise
1 cup plus 3 Tbsp. sugar, divided, plus more for pan
¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for pan
1½ cups (180 g) all-purpose flour
½ cup (60 g) fine-grind cornmeal
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
3 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
½ cup plus 2 Tbsp. sour cream
Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
2 tsp. vanilla extract
½ cup strawberry jam
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Gently toss strawberries, 1 Tbsp. sugar, and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl. Let sit, stirring occasionally, until ready to use.
2. Grease a 13x9" pan with oil. Line with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on 2 long sides. Grease parchment with oil. Generously sprinkle pan and parchment with sugar, tilting to coat pan in an even layer; tap out excess.
3. Whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, 1 cup sugar, and 1 tsp. salt in a medium bowl. Whisk eggs, egg yolks, sour cream, lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla in a large bowl until well combined. Add dry ingredients to sour cream mixture and whisk gently to combine. Using a spatula, gradually fold in ¾ cup oil until batter is smooth and homogenous with all of the oil incorporated.
4. Scrape batter into prepared pan and spread evenly. Using a small spoon, dollop jam onto surface. Using a butter knife or small offset spatula, gently swirl jam into batter. Arrange reserved strawberries on top of batter in even rows, touching at widest points. Sprinkle all over with remaining 2 Tbsp. sugar.
5. Bake cake until risen and deeply bronzed with no damp spots in the middle and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 40–45 minutes.
Cake can be made 4 days ahead. Cover with foil and store at room temperature.