BY: PATTERSON WATKINS
photo credits : Olive Oil Times
Scallion Pancakes with Chili-Infused Olive Oil
- 2 1/2 cupsall-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/3 cup mild intensity extra virgin olive oil (plus more for frying)
- 2 cups scallions, chopped
1. In a large bowl, add flour and salt, and whisk to combine. Add sesame oil and hot water to the bowl and stir to combine, forming a rough ‘shaggy’ dough. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured, clean work surface, and knead for 5 minutes or until the dough is smooth (adding more flour, if needed, if the dough is to sticky). Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let rest at room temperature for 1 hour.
2. Once rested, divide the dough into 8 even pieces. Roll out the portioned dough, working one piece at a time, into thin circles. Brush with about 2 teaspoons of olive oil and sprinkle with approx. 1/4 cup of chopped scallions. Roll the dough into a cylinder, then roll that cylinder into a cinnamon roll-like coil. Cover with plastic wrap and repeat with the remaining dough portions. Let rest at room temperature for 15 – 20 minutes.
3. Once rested and, again, working with one piece at a time, press (using the heel of your hand) and roll into a thin pancake, about 5 – 6 inches round.
4. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place one pancake into the hot skillet and fry for 4 – 6 minutes, flipping halfway through, until golden brown and crispy. Remove the pancake from the skillet and set it aside on a wire rack to drain. Repeat with the remaining pancakes.
5. Serve pancakes with chili infused olive oil for dipping.